Last updated on January 2nd, 2024 at 11:52 am
Whether from seasonal allergies or a nasty cold, a stuffy nose can make you feel miserable. You sound funny when you talk, you have a headache, and when you blow your nose, nothing comes out. You’ll try almost anything to relieve the pain and pressure.
Warm steam can do wonders for sinus congestion. The moist air soothes your swollen nasal tissue and helps thin out mucus to get it flowing again. Adding fragrant herbs like eucalyptus and lavender will lend additional support toward opening your airways and making you feel even more comfortable.
Here’s a simple recipe for an herbal sinus steam you can make at home the next time you’re sick or stuffed up.
DIY Herbal Steam for Congestion
This decongesting herbal steam recipe can be effective using either fresh or dried herbs, but we do not recommend using essential oils. Use a sterile saline spray before and after inhalation to cleanse the nasal cavity as much as possible. Wait 15 minutes between taking a homeopathic medicine and inhaling herbal steam. Always exercise caution around hot and boiling water.
What You Will Need
- 1 large pot or kettle to boil water
- 1 large heatproof bowl
- 4–6 cups of water
- 1 large towel
- 1 tablespoon of any or all of the following herbs: Eucalyptus leaves, rosemary sprigs, thyme, lavender buds, mint leaf, rose petals
- Use kettle or pot to boil water.
- While the water is heating up, place fresh or dried herbs in heatproof bowl.
- Place bowl on a sturdy, heat resistant surface and carefully pour in boiling water. Cover bowl with towel and allow herbs to steep for up to 5 minutes.
- When the steam has reached a comfortable temperature, remove towel and position your face 10 inches above the bowl. Drape towel over your head, creating a tent to hold the steam in.
- Relax, close your eyes, and breathe deeply for up to 10 minutes.
If you need more sinus relief, try a homeopathic decongestant like SinusCalm (formerly known as Sinusalia) for nasal congestion, sinus pain, and headache. This non-drowsy medicine is available in your choice of meltaway tablets or pellets, and it won’t interact with other medications or supplements. Find SinusCalm in a store near you.
*Claims based on traditional homeopathic practice, not accepted medical evidence. Not FDA evaluated.